I love pizza! And portobello mushroom caps are a great low-carb substitute for conventional pizza crust. Give this high protein recipe a try tonight! And if you make it, post a picture of it on your Instagram and tag me @DrSaraSolomon so I can see it!
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps. Remove the stems and gills.
- 2 cherry tomatoes, sliced in 4 each.
- 2 x 1 TBSP Pizza Sauce (I use Primo Traditional Pizza Sauce in the Squeeze Bottle ... you can store it in your fridge).
- 2 x 1/4 cup (~50g) extra lean ground turkey (already cooked)
- 2 x 1/4 cup Light Mozzarella Cheddar Cheese Shreds
- NOTE: use any pizza toppings you like ... you don't have to use what I used. But the nutritional information I provided is for my version. So if you make substitutions, then be sure to track your calories and macros. To learn how to track your calories and macros (i.e. to learn how to approach flexible dieting), please read my Fat Loss Fast e-Book.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
- Prepare your mushrooms (take of stems and remove gills) and place them gill side up on a baking sheet for 5 minutes. They will drip, so line the cookie sheet with foil for easier clean-up.
- In a skillet, cook 100g of extra lean ground turkey. I used non-stick cooking spray to save calories. I shaped mine into mini meatballs.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven.
- Spread 1 TBSP of pizza sauce on top of the inside of each mushroom.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup (per mushroom) of light shredded cheese on top of the sauce
- Top with 1/4 cup (per mushroom) of the mini turkey meatballs.
- Top with sliced cherry tomatoes (4 slices per mushroom)
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes (line cookie sheet with foil again) until mushrooms have softened and the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
For 2 Large Portobello Pizzas: calories 395, fat: 17.9g, saturated fat 6.6g, cholesterol 85.5mg, sodium 540mg, carbohydrates: 14g, fibre: 6.9g, sugars 3.2g, protein 44.5g
Sustainable Nutrition Habits
Substituting high calorie junk food with my "cheat clean" recipes can prevent you from over-consuming high calorie junk food. This is a great strategy for preventing weight gain.
Try my approach, and you will be shocked how effortless it is to lose fat and maintain your weight, without having to demonize food or portions. (Hey, I get it, I confess I cannot eat tiny portions.... I need HUGE portions to feel satisfied!).
If you want to learn how you can manipulate your tendency to overeat in a way that does not sabotage your fat loss ... so you can finally put an end to yo-yo dieting, ... then check out my Fat Loss Fast System. I explain exactly how I approach my diet so that I can eat pizza and 14 cookies in a row without gaining fat (or feeling even an ounce of guilt)!
Need more protein in your diet? Try my Chicken Crust Pizza Recipe.