Let's Get Cracking!
In today's video recipe, my mom teaches us how to make Auntie Fran's Almond Meringues. Auntie Fran was my dad's aunt (Grandma's younger sister), and she always made these for us at Passover. If you haven't already, check out my Grandma's recipes for Strawberry Fluff and Potato Knishes!
Almond meringues are a suitable low calorie dessert for anyone following my Fat Loss Fast System. Each meringue is only 16 calories and just 2.1g sugar. They are pretty sweet, so you won't want to eat more than 3 or 4 of these at a time.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup raw almonds (with skin)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar.
Regarding the Brown Sugar: It's really not that bad considering this recipe makes 53 meringues, and each meringue only has 2.1g of sugar. We have never substituted the brown sugar and cannot confirm if a sugar substitute (i.e. stevia, xylitol, splenda, erythritol) will work. The brown sugar gives the meringues their distinctive brown colouration.
Preheat your oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
It's recommended you make this recipe 2.5 hours before you go to bed. Make sure you are not in a humid environment.
It's STRONGLY recommended you watch the video. Mom shares important tips.
- Separate the egg whites and yolks from 3 large eggs. You don't need the yolks for this recipe
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until STIFF PEAKS form.
- Gradually titrate 1/2 cup brown sugar into the egg white fluff while mixing with the electric mixer.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Use a spoon to scoop up some of the "fluff". Insert 1 almond into the fluff's centre and then place it on the tray. Repeat until all the fluff/almonds are gone. Note that you do not have to use almonds. We were able to make 53 meringues in the video, although it will depend on the size of your meringues.
- Place in the oven for 2.5 hours at 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After the 2.5 hours have passed, DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR. Leave the meringues in the oven overnight (~8-10 hours, but you can leave them longer).
- Store in an airtight container, or store them in your stomach. Do not place these in the fridge or freezer.
Snap a photo of your meringues and post it on Instagram. Hashtag #drsarasolomon #TeamSS and/or #FatLossFast so I can find your meringues. Let me know if you used a sugar substitute, and if it worked!
Here are some extra hints from my Aunt Linda (my dad's sister). She watched the video, which made my day!
We made 53 almond meringues. 1 meringue is:
- calories: 16, fat: 0.6g, saturated fat: 0, cholesterol: 0mg, sodium: 3.1mg, carbs: 2.3g, fiber: 0.1g, sugars: 2.1g, protein: 0.4g
If you are like me, and prefer them without almonds, then each meringue is only 11 calories.
Join my amazing TeamSS! You'll e-meet tons of incredible people who love to work out and make creative "cheat clean" recipes. Being a part of TeamSS will provide you the daily motivation you need to achieve your fitness goals using my Fat Loss Fast System!