I love potato knishes! They are a traditional Jewish treat.
Potato knishes are pastries filled with mashed potatoes and onions.
My parents agreed to give you my Grandma's recipe for Potato Knishes! My mom demonstrates Grandma's recipe in the video posted below! Mom says you must watch the video before attempting the recipe... or else!
My grandma Shirley Solomon (my dad's mom) passed away when I was in University. I have many fond memories of her and I'm thrilled to be able to share a wonderful part of my family history with you.
If you are following my Fat Loss Fast System, this is ideal for your discretionary calories. You can carb backload with Knishes. That's what I do! As long as you follow my system, you will not gain weight eating knishes and you will not have to feel guilty about eating them.
Each knish is only 74 calories.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 packages of Puff Pastry, thawed (makes 4 placemat sizes when rolled out). We used Longo's Brand from Canada.
- 2 cups of Instant Mash Potatoes (We used Betty Crocker)
- skim milk
- 1 pouch of dry onion soup mix (We used Knorr, but mom usually uses Lipton)
- 1 beaten egg
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F
- Prepare instant mash potatoes as per pack instructions using water and skim milk. Do not add salt or butter. Add 1 pouch of dry onion soup mix. You want them to be a little dry.
- Roll out 1/4 of the pastry dough to the size of 1 placemat on a well floured board
- Brush 3 edges with beaten egg
- Spoon 1/4 of potato filling down the long side and roll up
- Cut with the side of your hand into 8 to 10 pieces. Seal edges. Flatten slightly.
- Place cut side up on a greased cookie sheet.
- Prick with a floured fork and brush with a beaten egg.
- Repeat with 3 remaining pastry pieces. This recipe makes ~40 Knishes.
- You can freeze them at this stage, or you can bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes.
Note that I included about 1 TBSP of flour.
For the entire recipe (~40 Knishes): Calories 2956, fat: 118.2g, saturated fat: 62.1g, cholesterol: 206.6mg, sodium: 4942.9mg, carbohydrates: 379.3g, fibre: 20.3g, sugars: 64.1g, protein: 90g
For 1 Knish: Calories 74, fat: 3g, saturated fat: 1.6g, cholesterol: 5.2mg, sodium: 123.6mg, carbohydrates: 9.5g, fibre: 0.5g, sugars: 1.6g, protein: 2.3g
Remember: As long as you follow my Fat Loss Fast system, you will not gain weight eating Knishes and you will not have to feel guilty about eating them.
If you make these, please tag @DrSaraSolomon on Instagram or Twitter so I can see your Knishes!