Remember: If you want to shed fat, then exercise is not enough -- a sustainable diet program is paramount!
Check out my Fat Loss Fast System. It's a complete Training and Diet System.
Remember: If you want to shed fat, then exercise is not enough -- a sustainable diet program is paramount!
Important! Read Below!
less is more!
I used to spend 1 to 2 hours a day counting calories on the stair mill, in addition to 1 hour of high volume strength training. The only problem was that I was not losing fat. Here's why: The problem with repetitive aerobic exercise is that your body quickly adapts to ensure you use the least amount of oxygen and energy to perform the greatest amount of work. The decrease in resting energy expenditure that ensues will mean you have to either eat less or exercise longer just to maintain your fat loss.
I finally put an end to that hellacious regimen and started high intensity training (HIT). I have achieved the best results using the minimum amount of exercise that imposes the maximum amount of growth stimulation. Contrary to popular belief, adding more exercise actually retards progress.
What is Hit and Hiit?
HIT stands for High Intensity Training.
HiiT stands for High Intensity Interval Training.
HIT can be applied to cardio and strength training.
a) HiiT cardio is also known as sprint interval training. Intervals are short bursts of high-intensity exercise separated by periods of lower intensity effort. It’s these high-intensity bursts that melt the fat away. They also speed up your metabolism, which enables you to burn more calories throughout the day. The best bang for your buck is interval sprinting. When my timer goes off to sprint, I just sprint as fast as I can, as if there is a big black bear chasing me, and my entire body is burning and I’m wishing the 30 seconds of sprinting would just be over!!! I sprint using my treadmill, spin bike, jump rope, or my body (e.g., burpees, star jumps, mountain climbers). My sprints are never longer than 20 minutes (because the shorter the duration, the more I can "crank up" my intensity!).
HiiT cardio is the best bang for your buck because it allows your body to burn fat for up to 48 hours after your workout.
b) Tabata Training is another type of interval training (pioneered by Dr. Izumi Tabata) touted as the most intense and effective way to burn fat. And guess what? It only lasts for four minutes! But let me warn you that it will probably feel like the longest four minutes of your life! You excercise as intensely as you can for 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds and repeat for 8 cycles (until 4 minutes has elapsed). The four-minute workout should be so intense and demanding that you couldn’t possibly do another 20 seconds of “all-out effort” after the four minutes is up; you should be panting and have no desire to perform more work. If you can do more than four minutes, it means you were not engaged in “all-out effort.”
c) High Intensity Resistance Training combines the benefits of your cardio and strength training programs into one time-saving session. This will help build attractive lean muscle (and remember that muscle burns calories!). You will appear toned because you will lose the layers of fat hiding your muscles.
The beauty of my Fat Loss Fast System is that it saves time. You can kill 2 birds with 1 stone by performing a FASTED HIT workout as you wake up. Fasted training triggers the release of growth hormone, cortisol and epinephrine and norepinephrine in your body, which is desirable because it helps you burn fat. Strength training ensures you maintain your muscle mass while losing body fat, which is desirable for fat loss because muscle contributes to the amount of calories you burn. Sipping on Branched-Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) in the fasted state pre-, peri- and post-workout ensures muscle protein synthesis is stimulated and protein breakdown is inhibited. By spending at least 16 consecutive hours fasting, it will not only help you burn fat, but it will also save you a ton of time because you won’t have to stop to eat pre-cooked meals from a plastic container every 2 to 3 hours.
Work smarter, not harder, by combining your strength and cardio session into one short, but intense muscle-building and fat-blasting workout. Ladies, don't worry, you won't bulk up or look mucular if you lift weights.
KEEP IT INTENSE!
The greater the intensity of your workout, the greater the Excess Post Exercise Oxygen Consumption (EPOC) and the greater the caloric expenditure after you have finished exercising. Yes! You will continue burning fat even after you are finished your HIT workout because HIT generates a much larger EPOC than lower intensity styles of training.
So how do you increase your intensity (so you can increase your EPOC)?
a) By shortening the duration of your workouts, you will be able to increase your intensity. Take this one step further and decrease the rest periods between your exercises. If your workouts are too long, you won't be able to maintain your workout intensity. You'd be further ahead washing the dishes! So stop equating longer duration workouts with fat loss, because this is NOT TRUE! It may be hard to believe that a 20 minute HiiT sprinting workout is the best method to reduce fat. Although it does not burn as many calories as a long aerobic workout, it keeps your metabolism elevated for hours afterward, which burns fat more effectively overall. After doing an extremely intense sprinting session, your body will continue to use more oxygen than normal during the next 24 hours. In other words, your metabolism will be higher, which means you will continue to burn extra calories.
b) Don't be a pansy when you are training!
Can you move faster?
Can you move your jump rope faster?
Can you safely lift a heavier weight than the week before?
Are you texting or emailing during your workouts? STOP IT!
WHO CAN DO MY HOME WORKOUTS?
My home workouts are for busy men and women (provided you received clearance from your physician first). Please do not exercise if you are injured! Again, consult with a medical professional!
I provide modification exercises, because I understand that you may not have the same home gym equipment that I am using. I also understand that you may be exercising for the first time in your life (exciting!!!). That is why you often see my mom working out beside me in my workout videos. She is in her late 60's and demonstrates the modification exercises. If you have back pain, knee pain, or arthritis in your thumbs, then you will really relate to my mom!
MY WORKOUT TIPS:
1. Work out in the morning. I always train in the morning. If I don’t, my motivation is non-existent after a long workday and I’ll talk myself out of training. Furthermore, you’ll reap the fat-burning benefits of your workout during the rest of your daily fast!
2. Warm up and cool down (e.g., do 5–10 minutes of light cardio activity such as incline walking, jogging on the spot, jump rope) immediately before and after your workout.
3. Stay hydrated with water. If you are training fasted, then add one scoop of BSN AminoX BCAAs to your water. Drink this 15-30 minutes before, during and after your fasted training session, until your break your fast. I recommend you wait at least 2 hours after your workout before you break your fast ... to maximize fat burning!
4. Minimize injury! Don’t go “from zero to hero.” If you are a beginner, then stick to the modification exercises I provide you. If you need to rest or grab a drink, then listen to your body. Never feel obliged to do exactly what I’m doing.
5. Lift the maximum amount of weight possible without sacrificing form. You do not want to risk injury because your ego made you pick up a heavier weight than you know you can manage. Start light and gradually work your way up to heavier weights over time.
6. Jump rope as fast as you can without sacrificing your form. If you sacrifice your form, you put yourself at risk for injury. Gradually work your way up to 10 minutes and always stretch and foam roll (especially your calves) after your session. I know it's tempting to want to jump longer when you are first learning, but keep it under 5 minutes until you master the coordination, rhythm and timing. Before you pick up a jump rope, you must first learn how to adjust your jump rope and how to jump with correct jump rope technique. Practice is the key to developing endurance and proficiency, and will enable you to reap the most benefit from jump rope training.
7. Less is more! Do not think that exercising for hours will yield faster results. In fact, the opposite is true.
8. Pay attention to the manner in which you lift and lower your weights/equipment to and from the floor between exercises. Incorrect lifting/lowering technique can lead to back injury. Lift and lower using your knees. Keep your back straight.
9. If you don’t have a plush carpet or interlocking cushioned floor mats, then use a mat under your tail bone, knees, and back when exercising on the floor.
10. Wrap up your daily training sessions with stretching and foam rolling (for injury prevention!). I'm a fan of the RumbleRoller because it’s a travel size and has “teeth” that help erode my trigger points).
11. Don't wait for your aches and pains to become full-blown problems that stop you from exercising. I recommend you always see a medical professional the instant you develop any type of ache or pain in your body. Why? Because this is the time when it is easily treatable, meaning you will be back in the game in no time. If you stall, your aches may develop into a chronic injury that can sideline you for months until you heal.
12. Wear correct sports-specific footwear (and potentially orthotics) to prevent injuries. Ask your chiropractor for more information.
13. Consult with your doctor before embarking on any exercise, diet, or supplementation program.
14. If you want to see changes in your physique, then you will have to exercise at 95– 100% of your maximum capacity (i.e., “go all out,”“go as fast as you can,” “lift as heavy as you safely can”). I think this is a fair compromise considering it’s only for 20 to 20 minutes out of your entire day.
15. Resistance and interval training are only part of the fat-burning equation. Diet is number one. Thanks to my Fat Loss Fast System, fat loss is much easier than you think!
TAKE HOME MESSAGE!
Minimum effective dose works! It generates RESULTS because you can maintain and endure this style of training 365 days a year! Combining this training concept with my Fat Loss Fast System has been the game changer responsible for my consistently lean body, as well as my increased happiness, satiety, immunity, and productivity!
Work Out With Me For Free!HiiT with Sara