One of YOU wrote to me on my Facebook Fitness Page with a special request: a lower body workout!
This is a 20-minute total body metabolic workout with emphasis on strengthening your GLUTES. Metabolic training is an effective and time-efficient way to get leaner and stronger. We've already established in previous posts why steady state cardio is a BIG NO! If you need a refresher, I strongly recommend you read My Exercise Philosophy.
Please note that I performed a 10-minute sprinting session and this 20-minute INTENSE glute workout today. I finished with 10 minutes of stretching and foam rolling (for injury prevention). And that folks, is my time-saving strategy for getting LEAN & STRONG and preventing injuries.
- Today, I sprinted on the treadmill for 30 seconds at 9 mph, followed by 10 sec of rest (I stood on the side panels). I repeated this pattern for 10 minutes.
- Sometimes I use the treadmill and sometimes I use my jump rope. You can click here to do my 10-minute jump rope drills workout.
- If you don't have a jump rope or a treadmill, you can always do intense burpees or star jumps.
Don't Be So Hard On Yourself
Notice I don't look like I'm ready to get on stage. I don't have a spray tan, my hair is a mess and I'm 5 pounds heavier than when I make appearances. But I'm still a lovely person. An extra 5 pounds doesn't make me "less fit" or "less credible", nor does it make me love myself any less. I'm a 35 year old dentist. I exercise because it's cathartic and it keeps me healthy, not because I want to look like somebody else. I understand that true beauty is something you cannot even see in a mirror. I'll be hot damned if I'm going to let 5 pounds define my daily self-perception. I prefer to let my positive interactions with others define me as a person. Remember: Life is short. Beauty is ephemeral. Life is about the people you meet, not about the amount of water you are holding under your skin or the size of your fat cells. Make an effort to make other people feel good because this will make you feel better than a 5 pound fat loss could ever make you feel.
Always a Must!
- Read my workout rules before you begin!
Drink your BCAAs!
Stay hydrated with water.
- A Gymboss Interval Timer
- A laptop, smart phone, or tablet (to play this workout video)
- Shock-absorbing surface, such as interlocking floor mats.
- Dumbbells: I used 12 pound dumbbells
- Kettlebell: I used 25 pound kettlebells
- Sandbag: I filled mine with 40 pounds of sand
- Stability Ball
- Bench or chair
Set your gymboss timer for: 30 seconds WORK, 10 seconds REST. This circuit consists of 10 different exercises. Perform the circuit 3 times, which takes ~20 minutes.
- Sumo Squats (Range Game) - I used a 40 pound sandbag
- Alternating Step Ups - I used 12 lb dumbbells
- Squat with Alternating Leg Abduction - I used a 25 lb kettlebell
- Side Lunges - I used 12 lb dumbbells
- Dead Lifts - I used two 25 lb kettlebells
- Ball Hamstring Curls
- Reverse Lunges - I used 12 lb dumbbells
- Four Squat Jumps into Four Squats and repeat.
- Bridges off Ball
- Leg Extension (Froggies) off Ball.
Do the workout with me! Just click on this video.