Zoodles are zucchini noodles. They slurp, taste and feel like real pasta noodles, except they are low in calories and carbs.
This recipe is perfect for a low carb/higher fat day.
- 1 large ripe avocado, seeded and peeled
- 1 cup fresh basil, tightly packed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 TBSP nutritional yeast (imparts a cheesy flavour)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth (low sodium)
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP shallot, minced
- 2 medium peeled zucchini (made into noodles)
Recipe (Serves 2):
- Make the zucchini noodles:
- Wash a medium zucchini, but you don’t have to peel it if you like the green colour in your pasta. Be aware that the peel contains a good portion of the zucchini’s vitamins and minerals, so eat the peel!
- Place the zucchini in your Spiral Vegetable Slicer and turn the crank.
- Add avocado, basil, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and vegetable broth to a food processor and process until smooth. You may have to add extra broth (one teaspoon at a time) to get a creamy consistence. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat, add shallots and cook for about 2 minutes. Add zucchini noodles and cook for 7-10 minutes or until “al dente” (firm to the bite). Turn zucchini noodles occasionally using tongs. Remove Zucchini Noodles from stove, toss with avocado lemon pesto and smoked salmon, garnish with fresh basil, slices of lemon or top with grated Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
For 1 serving (i.e. 1/2 of recipe)
- calories 413, fat 28.9g, saturated fat 4.3g, cholesterol 51.5mg, sodium 463.8mg, carbohydrates 23.1g, fiber 10.1g, sugars 6.1 g, protein 21.7g
I've been an intermittent faster and a flexible dieter since 2012. I put together an entire system (an e-Book) that shows you how to make it work for your schedule, goals and eating personality. I call it the Fat Loss Fast System. It's a sustainable approach to eating. I really enjoy helping people who love the daily process ... people who love finding value in making choices that are right for their body. When it comes to body recomposition and fitness, I believe that fixation on the endgame is the reason why people become so disappointed and end up throwing in the towel. My passion is teaching you how to love the daily process. That's the secret to long-term success!