I wanted to share with you my favourite quick and easy appetizer: Bruschetta on High Fiber Crispbread and Colourful Bell Peppers with Spicy Guacamole.
I like to fill up on both of these high fiber, low carb, low calorie snacks, not only because they taste great, but also because they are very filling. A filling appetizer prevents me from mindlessly eating an entire bag of high calorie cashews before my main course.
This is an ideal appetizer because it obeys The Principle of Volumetrics.
The Principle of Volumetrics:
- Eating low-calorie foods (eg. vegetables) makes you feel full and thereby aids in weight loss.
- Since these foods are high in fiber and water, you can eat generous portions without feeling deprived or hungry.
- So go ahead and eat your vegetables!
- It’s relatively easy to adhere to a volumetrics diet over the long haul because you will never feel deprived.
To save time, I purchased pre-made bruschetta and guacamole! Work smarter, not harder!
- Break 2 GG Bran Scandinavian Crispbreads in half.
- Note: Canadian shoppers can get it here.
- Note: this crispbread is not gluten free.
- Divide 2 TBSP of Bruschetta amongst the 4 crispbreads.
- For all the Canadians reading this, I used President's Choice Bruschetta from Loblaws. Two tablespoons are only 15 calories, 1 g fat, 1 g carb, and 1 g sugar.
Bell Peppers and Guacamole:
- Cut 1 cup of bell peppers (any colour). I used white, chocolate, purple, green and orange peppers.
- Measure 2 TBSP of Spicy Wholly Guacamole into a dish. This brand of guacamole gets my seal of approval: It's made with avocado and is free of chemicals and preservatives.
- Avocado can help you lose weight: Half an avocado contains ~5 grams of fiber (soluble and insoluble: which keeps your digestive system running smoothly). Furthermore, soluble fibre slows the breakdown of carbohydrates in your body, helping you feel full for longer
Nutritional Information for both snacks:
calories: 135, fat: 7.4g, saturated fat: 1g, cholesterol: 0mg, sodium: 256mg, carbohydrates: 27g, fiber: 15.1g, NET CARBS: 11.9g sugars: 7.3g, protein: 5.5g
- To learn more about Fiber, GG Bran Crispbread and Net carbs, read my article called, "Fiber Facts and Net Carbs".
- Two other high fiber, low carb healthy snacks I recommend include:
- For more low carb snack ideas, read my article, "13 Best Low Carb Portable Snacks"