Question: What do you do when you are travelling and have no gym access?
Answer: This 18-minute HOTEL ROOM circuit!
I was in Columbus, Ohio with Bodybuilding.com for the 2013 Arnold Sports Festival this past weekend, and this is one of the workouts I did in my hotel room.
Here are some photos of me in my hotel room. As you can see, it was a tiny space, but that should not preclude a workout.
This hotel room workout is a time-saving total body high intensity interval circuit.
- Total body interval circuits increase metabolic demand because they make your body work at a higher intensity.
- Metabolic workouts are the most effective way to burn calories (both during and AFTER your workout) and boost your metabolism, which means you will get leaner and stronger faster.
- This style of exercising is time-efficient. When you are travelling, you are pressed for time. There is no time to find a gym, and hotel gyms are a frustrating experience. I think we can all agree that you can wake up 18 minutes earlier to do this workout in your pyjamas before you get cleaned up for the day.
- REMEMBER: if you want to see changes in your physique, then you will have to exercise at 95-100% of your maximum capacity (i.e. “go all out”, “go as fast as you can”, “lift as heavy as you safely can”). I think this is a fair compromise considering it's only for 18-minutes out of your entire day.
- REMEMBER: heavy lifting (because muscle burns calories) and interval training are only part of the fat-burning equation. Diet is number one. Check out my healthy recipes to see what I eat.
- A Gymboss Interval Timer
- A chair (or a stool) in your hotel room
- A laptop, smart phone, or tablet (to play this workout video)
- A Dr. Sara Solomon Cross Speed Jump Rope by Buddy Lee Jump Ropes. It's portable and inexpensive. I always travel with mine!
- Click here to learn how to determine your correct jump rope length.
Always a Must!
- Read my workout rules before you begin!
Drink your BCAAs!
Stay hydrated with water.
Today’s Video Workout:
Set your gymboss timer for: 40 seconds WORK, 10 seconds REST. This circuit consists of 7 exercises. Perform the circuit 3 times (which takes 18 minutes). If you have time, then do it 4 times for a total of 24 minutes.
- Jump Rope (High Step)
- Triceps Dips (off edge of chair or stool)
- Alternating Jumping Jack Planks (5 reps) with Mountain Climbers (5 reps)
- Chair "Walk-Over" Push-ups (side to side)
- Squat Jumps
- Alternating 2 Knee Hug Crunches with 2 Bicycle Crunches
- Burpees with Push-Up
Do the workout with me! Just click on this video: