You're hungry. You need a quick & easy 100 calorie snack. You're craving BOTH a pizza AND an omelette. What do you do? Well, why not have both? Presenting my Pizza Omelette ... or as I like to call it, a Pizzomelette, which is a also a synonym for Omelizza.
This recipe is Low Calorie, Low Carb, Low Fat, Dairy-free, High in Protein, and Diabetic Friendly
Are you dairy-free? Then this is perfect for you because this recipe uses Vegan Cheese, which is free of dairy (casein, whey and lactose), soy, gluten, eggs, rice, peanuts and tree nuts (except coconut oil). It is also cholesterol & trans-fat free and contains no preservatives.
1. Place the following onto a non-stick skillet (or use non-stick cooking spray):
- 1 cup of spinach (I use pre-cut & washed spinach to save time). Remove the spinach once cooked and set it aside.
2. Steam your favourite green vegetable in the microwave (or in a digital steamer if you are anti-microwave). I just happened to have green beans in the fridge, so I steamed them in a glass container with a bit of water (covered with plastic wrap) for 3 minutes. Feel free to use broccoli, asparagus, etc.
3. Grind 1 GG Bran Scandinavian Crispbread in an electric nut & spice grinder (or crush it in a ziploc bag using a hammer) or just buy the GG Fiber Sprinkles (they already crush them for you, which is easiest). For more information about this diabetic-friendly crisp bread, click here.
- Substitutions: You can substitute the crispbread with ground flaxseed meal if you prefer (which will make the recipe gluten-free) or even chia seeds.
4. Mix the following in a Magic Bullet, (or a blender or by hand):
- 1/2 cup of egg whites
- the GG fiber sprinkles (or flax seeds or chia)
- your favourite salt-free seasoning: black pepper, Mrs. Dash, minced onion flakes, etc.
5. Pour this mixture onto skillet. Flip the omelette "pizza crust" to ensure it is cooked on both sides.
6. Plate the "pizza crust" omelette. Garnish with:
- 2 TBSP Eden Crushed Tomatoes Sauce
- 1/8 cup of Daiya Vegan Cheese. Another option is to use Nutritional Yeast. Learn about nutritional yeast here. If you are not allergic to dairy, then feel free to use skim cheese.
- the previously prepared spinach & green beans (or whatever veggies you have).
- black pepper, salt-free seasoning
7. Optional: I placed the omelette in the microwave to melt the cheese for 45 seconds.
calories: 106, fat: 0.9 g, saturated fat: 0.3g, cholesterol: 0 g, sodium: 292.9 mg, carbohydrates: 12.4 g, fiber: 7 g, NET CARBS: 5.4 sugars: 2 g, protein: 17 g
=> Find detailed explanations about the ingredients I used in this recipe by clicking on my Ingredient Encyclopedia!