No denying that Granny Smith Apples promote a healthy gut flora. There are so many types of apples, but the Granny Smith apple is worth throwing in your grocery basket because it's high in non digestible fibres (gut flora food) and anti-inflammatory natural products.
If you are like me, and find them to be a bit tart, then try my recipe. It's very low in sugar. It's like eating apple crisp (but without the crisp).
- non-stick cooking spray or use a slow cooker liner.
- 4 cups of peeled and sliced apples (I used Granny Smith)
- 2 TBSP lemon or lime juice to prevent the apples from oxidizing
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cashew or almond milk
- 1 TBSP coconut palm sugar (or sucanat). Both are less refined than white sugar. Sucanat has slightly less calories than white sugar. Sucanat retains its natural molasses, which is why it contains more vitamins and minerals than white sugar. Both have a similar taste to brown sugar and can be used as a brown sugar substitute. I prefer the taste of coconut palm sugar in recipes (I find that sucanat has a strong taste in baked goods). Nevertheless, both are considered sugar and should be used in moderation.
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Recipe (Serves 4):
- Coat your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray or use a slow cooker liner
- Spread the apples into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Toss in the milk, coconut palm sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla extract.
- Stir the ingredients
- Cover the pot and set your slow cooker to high for 2.5 hours. (I recommend you check it periodically to see if it's done early).
- You can refrigerate any leftovers and reheat.
The entire recipe: 388 calories, 2.7g fat, saturated fat 0.3g, cholesterol 0mg, sodium 107.5 mg, carbs 100g, fiber 16.1g, sugars 69.7g, protein 2.1g
For 1 serving (1/4 of recipe): calories 97, fat 0.7g, saturated fat 0.1g, cholesterol 0mg, sodium 26.9 mg, carbs 25g, fiber 4g, sugars 17.4g, protein 0.5g
Is Your Diet Practical?:
I've been an intermittent faster and a flexible dieter since 2012 (I was born in January 1978, so I've tried nearly every diet under the sun). I put together an entire system (an e-Book) that shows you how to make your diet work with your schedule, goals and eating personality. It's a maintainable approach to eating that makes you feel like a winner instead of a tormented failure. It works in real life. My passion is teaching you how to love the daily process because consistency is the secret to long-term success!