When I saw chocolate peppers in the grocery store, I became very excited. I had never seen a chocolate pepper before! At first I wondered, do they taste like chocolate? Or are they merely named after their chocolate brown colouring? I google searched them, and this is what I uncovered:
- They are bell peppers that ripen from green to brown if left to mature for 85 days
- As they change colour, the sweetness increases.
- The don't taste like chocolate (boooo!). They are much sweeter than green peppers, but not as sweet as red peppers.
I also decided to buy a dark purple pepper (because I have never tried this either)!
- I was shocked when I cut into the purple pepper, and uncovered green flesh!
- A pigment called anthocyanin produces the dark purple color. It also contains antioxidant properties.
- It has a sweet green flavour and a crisp texture. It's not as sweet as a red pepper.
- And we all know that Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
Did you know? Red peppers are simply ripened green peppers!
Eggcellent Stuffed Chocolate Pepper
- Cut the lid (top) off of a pepper (any colour will do). Chop up the lid and use it later for the egg white scramble. Remove and discard the seed core from the inside.
- Place the following into a non-stick skillet (or use non-stick cooking spray, such as PAM):
- The extra saved pepper pieces
- 1 cup spinach (I buy mine pre-washed & cut to save time)
- 1 cup of egg whites
- 4 sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1/4 cup Daiya Vegan Cheese Mozzarella Style Shreds
- Daiya Vegan Cheese, which is free of dairy (casein, whey and lactose), soy, gluten, eggs, rice, peanuts and tree nuts (except coconut oil). It is also cholesterol & trans-fat free and contains no preservatives. You can find it in the cheese section of your grocery store.
- I use vegan cheese because dairy gives me dairyarrhea.
- Season with Black Pepper and Salt-Free Seasoning (eg. Mrs. Dash)
- Place the egg mixture into the pepper bowl. Enjoy!
calories: 218, fat: 2.2g, saturated fat: 0.6g, cholesterol: 0mg, sodium: 510.1mg, carbohydrates: 16g, fiber: 4.9g, NET CARBS: 11.1g, sugars: 8.7g, protein: 32.2g
=> Find detailed explanations about the ingredients used in this recipe in my Ingredient Encyclopaedia.