Why use sandbags instead of barbells?
- Most lifting in real life is done with objects between your hands (e.g. picking up your baby, your cat, or a sandbag). This makes sandbags more functional than barbells. You are more likely going to pick up an odd object in real life than a barbell.
- Barbells do not promote natural movement patterns because the shape of the barbell distributes weight on the outside of the body. Sandbags, however, promote more natural movement patterns since the weight is distributed between your hands.
- Barbell movements require more skill to learn (i.e. learning how to master a barbell clean and jerk can take years). Sandbag movements are easier to learn because less skill is required. I learned how to master a sandbag clean and jerk in just a few minutes. This makes sandbags very user-friendly for beginners.
- Asymmetrical/unpredictable loading of a sandbag makes for better core training.
- Sandbags can be used for loads, holds, and carries.
- Barbells train movement in the sagittal plane, but sandbags also train movement in the frontal plane. Sandbag training will fill voids in your training, which can help minimize injury and improve athletic performance (because you are training all planes of movement).
Sandbag Exercise Video Tutorials
Real Time 400m Sandbag Carry:
How to Fill & Close Sandbags
Where to Buy Sandbags
Click here to get the same Strongfit sandbags that I have.
Where to Learn More
If you want to train like I do (to fix muscle imbalances, to get stronger and fitter), then join my online Strength Academy. It's a home program, so you can train in the comfort of your own home gym. And be sure to follow me on instagram @drsarasolomon for my daily workouts!