Work smarter, not harder, by combining your strength training and cardio session into one short but intense muscle-building and fat-blasting workout.
Today we are doing a 25-minute UPPER BODY metabolic workout. It alternates strength training with jump rope. You can do this at home because you only need dumbbells and a jump rope! Do this workout in your pyjamas. I did!
Notice I selected compound exercises. Compound exercises (unlike isolation exercises) involve multi-joint movements and work several muscle groups at once.
- compound exercises:
- eg. squats (targets your core, glutes, hamstrings, quads, calves, lower back)
- Burns more calories (because more muscles are used)
- More functional (simulates real-world activities)
- Allows for a time-efficient full body workout
- Keeps your heart rate up
- isolation exercises:
- eg. biceps curl
- Great for correcting a specific muscle weakness or imbalance
Always a Must!
- Read my workout rules before you begin!
Drink your BCAAs!
Stay hydrated with water.
- A Gymboss Interval Timer
- A laptop, smart phone, or tablet (to play this workout video)
- Shock-absorbing surface, such as interlocking floor mats or a plush carpet.
- Dumbbells: I used 15 pound and 8 pound dumbbells
- A Dr. Sara Solomon Cross Speed Jump Rope by Buddy Lee Jump Ropes. It’s portable and inexpensive. I always travel with mine!
Set your gymboss timer for: 50 seconds WORK, 10 seconds REST. This circuit consists of 6 different exercises. Perform the circuit 4 times, which takes ~25 minutes. Note: I use the timer from tabatatimer.com in my videos.
- Arnold Dumbbell Preses – (I used 15 lb dumbbells)
- Jump Rope - Twister
- Dumbbell Push-up with Alternating Row - (I used 15 lb dumbbells)
- Jump Rope: High Step
- Alternating Shoulder Raises (shoulder abduction <–> shoulder flexion) - (I used 8-lb dumbbells)
- Jump Rope: Skier's Jump
Do the workout with me! Just click on this video. Candice Kay filmed me! Thanks Candice!
Note: Remember to “pick up the pace”. Keep it intense. I am guilty of slowing down in this video when I talk. I also didn’t hustle fast enough between exercises. Make sure you do a better job than I did!
*Always Stretch and Foam Roll after your workouts to prevent injury!