You'll never have to miss a workout again! Tabata is the workout to do when you are in a RUSH!
- Tabata is a 4-minute VERY INTENSE workout. It consists of 20 seconds of "all out effort" followed by 10 seconds of rest.
- Repeat this pattern 8 times for a total of 4 minutes.
Whenever I travel with Teams Bodybuilding.com and BSN, I always wake up a few minutes earlier to do a TABATA workout in my hotel room, followed by foam rolling and stretching. Here I am in my Las Vegas hotel room ... I rearrange the furniture to create space for my jump rope.
- When I say “all out effort”, that means you should feel like your lungs are going to explode by the time you reach the 2-minute mark.
- Watch the workout to hear how my breathing changes over the course of 4 minutes. You can see and hear me struggling!
- After doing extremely intense Tabata exercise, your body will continue to use more oxygen than normal during the next 24 hours. In other words, your metabolism will be higher, which means you will continue to burn extra calories.
- Do not do more than 4 minutes of Tabata at a time. The 4-minute workout should be so intense, that you couldn’t possibly do another 20 seconds of “all out effort” after the 4 minutes are up. If you can do more than 4 minutes, this means you were not engaged in “all out effort”.
**Today's workout is REAL TIME! You don't have to replay the video! Boom!
The Famous Talking Timer!
Everyone keeps asking. What timer do I use? He says "Work, Rest".
Well, I kept it a government secret until now. The timer I use on my laptap can be found at tabatatimer.com. Shh! Don't tell people ... it's our secret.
- A Gymboss Timer
- Shock-absorbing surface, such as interlocking floor mats.
- A medicine ball (I used 12 lbs)
- A Dr. Sara Solomon Cross Speed Jump Rope by Buddy Lee Jump Ropes. It’s portable and inexpensive. I always travel with mine!
Always a Must!
- Read my workout rules before you begin!
Drink your BCAAs!
Stay hydrated with water.
This circuit consists of 3 different exercises. Perform the circuit 2 times for 8 cycles, which takes 4 minutes. Set your gymboss timers for 20 seconds of work and 10 seconds of rest. You have to hustle between exercise. Keep it mega-INTENSE!
- Jump Rope: Quickly move forward with high step and quickly move backward with basic bounce. Keep your core tight!
- Rolling Medicine Ball Push-ups
- Jump Rope (as in #1)
- Burpees with a Push-up
Do the workout with me. Just click on the video.
- I train fasted (always in the morning), which is why I take BCAAs.
- 1 scoop (10g) 15-30 minutes before fasted training
- 1 scoop during training.
- 1 scoop every 2 hours post-workout until you break your fast. Wait at least 1 hour after training before breaking your fast to maximize fat burning.
- During the fasted phase, I take Green tea extract prior to my workout. When used in combination with exercise, it may assist you with your fat loss goals.
- During the fed state (ie. when I break my fast), I take the following because research suggests it helps support fat burning ... um hello, yes please!).
- I also take fish oil, vitamin D and multivitamins during my feast.