Oodles of Noodles
- Zoodles = Zucchini Noodles.
- Swoodles = Sweet Potato Noodles
Zucchini Noodles (aka " low carb faux pasta noodles") are the best thing since indoor plumbing, the number 36, electric toothbrushes, Klingon, and the internet.
Zoodles and Swoodles slurp, taste and feel like real pasta noodles, except they are lower in calories.Try it and you will become a believer!
I recommend zoodles for anyone following my Fat Loss Fast System.
You can combine them with your favourite sauce, vegetables and protein (i.e. shrimp, scallops, chicken, tofu, ground chicken, etc).
I've made a variety of options to inspire you.
1. Prepare the Zucchini & Sweet Potato Noodles
- Wash a large zucchini, but you don’t have to peel it if you like the green colour in your pasta. The peel contains a good portion of the zucchini’s vitamins and minerals, so eat the peel!
- Place the zucchini in your Spiral Vegetable Slicer (refer to my photo) and turn the crank.
- If you don’t have a spiral vegetable slicer, I strongly recommend you get one, especially considering they are only ~ $30. Otherwise, you can use a mandolin or a vegetable peeler.
- Wash and peel a medium-sized sweet potato. Place it into your Spiral Vegetable Slicer and turn the crank to make sweet potato noodles.
2. Cook Your Noodles
- Toss the following onto a non-stick skillet on medium heat (use non-stick cooking spray) for ~3-5 minutes:
- All of the zucchini noodles
- 1 oz of the sweet potato noodles
- 1.5 cup of mushrooms
- 3 TBSP of Walden Farms Calorie Free/Sugar Free Pasta Sauce (I used Garlic & Herb but you can also use Tomato and Basil or Alfredo Sauce). If Walden Farms makes you freak out, then you can use a no salt added tomato sauce (it's only 25 calories for 1/4 cup).
- SHRIMP: 90g of shrimp (~3/4 of a cup) ... or
- SCALLOPS: While your veggies are cooking, start cooking the scallops in another non-stick skillet (or use non-stick cooking spray) over medium-high heat. Cook the scallops until they are deep golden brown on one side (about 1 to 2 minutes on each side). Cooking time will vary depending on the size and thickness of your scallops. Once the scallops and veggies are done, combine them onto a plate. I measured 6 oz of scallops.
- CHICKEN: Grill your boneless/skinless chicken breast in a non-stick skillet with 2 tsp of EVOO (or use non-stick cooking spray). If you are not in the mood to grill chicken, or if you are bereft of kitchen skills and fear giving yourself salmonella poisoning, then just buy it already made at the grocery store. Put the cooked chicken aside.
- EXTRA LEAN GROUND CHICKEN: You can see I also made it with extra lean ground chicken and mushrooms on a skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Use whatever protein source you like.
Garnish with freshly ground black pepper and your favourite herbs (I like calorie free Parmesan & Garlic Seasoning). You can also substitute with 1 TBSP of Nutritional Yeast (which imparts a cheesy flavour), or you can use Flavour God cheese and garlic seasoning (also calorie free).
Shrimp Zoodles (with Walden Farms):
- calories: 169, fat: 2g, saturated fat: 0.8g, cholesterol: 130 mg, sodium: 365.3mg, carbohydrates: 20.2 g, fiber: 4.1 g, sugars: 10.8 g, protein: 21.3g
Scallops Zoodles (with Walden Farms):
- calories: 220, fat: 2.5g, saturated fat: 0.2g, cholesterol: 52 mg, sodium: 376.9mg, carbohydrates: 15.2 g, fiber: 3.7 g, sugars: 8.5 g, protein: 35.3g
Chicken Zoodles (with EVOO and Tomato Sauce):
- calories: 255, fat: 12.3g, saturated fat: 1.5g, cholesterol: 75 mg, sodium: 78.1mg, carbohydrates: 10.4 g, fiber: 3.5 g, sugars: 10 g, protein: 30.6g
- Compare this to the Cheesecake Factory's "Tomato Basil Pasta with Chicken", which has 1660 calories, 17 g of fat, 17 g of saturated fat and 135 g of carbs!
If you want to learn how you can manipulate your tendency to overeat in a way that does not sabotage your fat loss ... so you can finally put an end to yo-yo dieting ... then check out my Fat Loss Fast System. I explain exactly how I approach my diet so that I can eat my favourite foods without gaining fat (or feeling even an ounce of guilt)!