Some of us need every bit of help we can get when it comes to fat loss and would benefit the most from Intermittent Fasting.
Achieve better fat loss results with the 16/8 LeanGains protocol designed by Martin Berhkan: You eat all of your daily calories in a 8-hour feeding window and then you fast for 16 consecutive hours.
For example, stop eating at 6pm. This commences your fast. Fasting overnight for 18 hours will allow your body to burn stored fat. Wake up and train fasted in the morning using BCAA’s. Eat your first meal at 10 am. Eat 2 more times between 10am and 6pm. Repeat. (Note, this is just an example. You can tailor it to suit your schedule. Perhaps you’d rather start eating at noon and finish eating at 8pm).
- This is referred to as intermittent fasting and is a great strategy for people who tend to binge eat or who notoriously exceed their portions on the “6 small meals a day ever 3 hours diet” because of constant hunger. Why? Because you will feel more full by trying to cram in all your calories during an 8-hour feeding window. For example, if you are on a 1500-calorie a day diet and you eat 3 meals, this means you get to eat bigger portions more frequently (eg. you can eat three 500 calories meals over 8 hours, which promotes satiety and prevents dietary indiscretions).
- When I was eating 6 small meals a day of 150 to 200 calories each, I was always hungry, cranky and cheating on my diet. I never lost weight (in fact, I gained weight) because my body was never burning my stored fat for fuel. Think about it: I never gave my body a chance to burn my stored fat for fuel because I was constantly stuffing my face from 6 am until midnight, which means I was only burning the food I was shoveling into my face! And because I was always hungry, I would snack in between meals and gain weight. I could only tolerate this diet for a finite amount of time before giving into my hunger and inevitably regaining all the weight I had lost (and more!). I became obsessed with food… I probably thought about food 1000 times a day. With intermittent fasting, I know that I only feed during certain times, I know I will feel satiated every time I eat, so food no longer occupies my every waking thought. It’s exciting watching my body fat melt away without feeling starved. For the first time in my life, I feel like I have control over food, rather than food having control over me.
- Intermittent fasting is controversial and may not work for you, but it works wonderfully for me. I failed miserably eating 6 small meals a day. Why? Dividing your daily caloric allotment amongst 6 meals over your 16-18 waking hours will result in very tiny portions that will NEVER PROMOTE SATIETY! In other words, you are never full (ie. always hungry!). Wouldn’t it make more sense to eat fewer (but larger) meals in a narrower eating window (eg. over 8 hours) so you won’t feel hungry during your waking hours?
- What fascinates me is that I have absolutely no hunger during my fasting period. I am excited to say that for the first time in my life, I have appetite control! I have become completely detached from food and no longer feel compelled to react to my hunger. This lifestyle is also much easier to incorporate into a hectic schedule. You don’t have to cook and pack 6 meals in a cooler everywhere you go!
- Key point: Intermittent Fasting merely tells you when you can eat and when you cannot eat.
- The 16-hour fast/8-hour feed is referred to as LEAN-GAINS, and was created by Martin Berkhan.
- At the current time, there is not a lot of research on humans about Intermittent Fasting. I decided to try it because I was FAILING MISERABLY on my old diet. Remember: what works for one person may not work for someone else. Always consult with your physician before embarking on any fitness, nutrition or supplementation program! (ie. this is not suitable for diabetics or pregnant women, so ask your doctor if intermittent fasting is right for you!).
You probably have many questions. Here’s what you are going to do next. Read my entire intermittent fasting blog! Read it all before asking me questions!
Click here for Aminolast BCAA’s: Gaspari Nutrition AMINOLAST – Watermelon Blast