My hair was so DRY! Between the harsh Canadian winter climate and perpetual heat-styling, my hair needed some serious hot oil treatment!
I didn't want to spend money on a salon hot oil treatment or a "do-it-yourself" home kit, so I decided to save money by using something I already had in my pantry: Extra virgin coconut oil!
Hairbrained Idea or Evidence-Based?
I know what you're thinking! "OMG Sara, are you putting cooking oil into your hair?"
Yes! Yes I am! And I found a study for the skeptics. According to a 2003 study in the Journal of Cosmetic Science, researchers found that coconut oil, which is a triglyceride of lauric acid (principal fatty acid), has a high affinity for hair proteins and, because of its low molecular weight and straight linear chain, is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft.
Hot Oil Hair Treatment Protocol:
- Wash hair and towel dry. Do not use any gels, mousses, hair spray or products that would prevent the oil from penetrating the hair.
- Heat 1 TBSP of coconut oil in the microwave. Allow to cool slightly (so you won't burn yourself!)
- Apply it to your hair and massage it from your roots to your tips. Comb through and cover with a shower cap (or plastic bag) and sit under a hairdryer with low heat for 15-20 minutes (or cover with a warm towel for 15-20 minutes - you can heat it in the clothes dryer).
- Shampoo your hair and rinse. I had to rinse it a lot to get the oil out!!!! RINSE RINSE & RINSE! I can't emphasize this enough. RINSE or else your hair will look greasier than a monkey that just had sex for 24 hours straight.
- Do this once a month. It will keep your hair smooth and shiny!
- Phit Hair Body Daily Use Shampoo and Conditioner
- No PABA or Parabens
- pH-Optimized hair
- acai, pomegranate and goji berry extract to protect hair
- hydrolyzed quinoa protein for strong hair
- available at Bodybuilding.com = #1 Online Health and Fitness Supersite!
- Moroccan Argan Oil Spray
- I spray this before styling my hair
- Argan oil penetrates the hair shaft to seal in shine and protect from styling heat
- It also does a great job fighting frizz!
- It moisturizes my dry and brittle hair ... it makes my hair look silky!
- For more information about the health benefits of this oil, I recommend you read my post, "What is Extra Virgin Coconut Oil?
- Try my favourite healthy recipe using coconut oil: Snickers Fudge! That's right! Fudge! When coconut oil is placed into the fridge/freezer, it hardens, creating a fudge-like consistency! You can use it to make healthy fudge and icing!
- Get FREE healthy recipes to your inbox by clicking here!